The masterclass of February marked the highlight of the Masterclass series we’ve been giving the past few months to participants of the UN2023 Gamechanger challenge. After organizing so many masterclasses online we were beyond excited to organize the hybrid masterclass event right from the heart of the Ocean race in Cape Town South Africa!
The Ocean Race is one of the biggest sailing competitions around the global and we were excited Sara Hastreiter, former Ocean Race Sailor, mental coach Anje-marijcke van Boxtel, former on-board report Stefan Coppers could talk about the challenges on the ocean and why you can only succeed the race as a team and what skills are required for a strong team.
To achieve the climate goals, we must work together as team. Manual Nicholas Jackson, manager of Stellenbosch university South Africa, made the connection with performing in high level sports and his experience in research and innovations. “To Increase development of skills you’ll have to invest in strong partnerships between universities, inistitutions, employers and students.”
The full masterclass can be rewatched here!
Above lesson is just the top of the iceberg when it comes to usefull out takes of the masterclasses. We thank all speakers dearly for supporting the students and giving them a head start on their career.
- Patricia Makhesha, seasoned executive vice President for sustainability in mining company, South Africa.
- Ayoola Brimmo, entrepreneurial mechanical engineer, Nigeria
- Elyssa Vaillancourt, project manager at the International Secretariat for Water and leader of Global youth movement, Canada
- Eder Delgado, Youth coordinator of the Mexican Society for Water, Mexico
- Marcel Beukeboom, Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the UN Agencies for Food and Agriculture in Rome, The Netherlands
- Dana Nolte, Benthos analyst at research institute NIOZ Texel, The Netherlands
- Tom Slaymaker, Statistics and Monitoring Specialist (WASH) UNICEF, United States of America
We hope to keep giving the next generation the insights and tools they need to tackle local water challenges through our masterclasses!